If a neighbours tree has branches coming onto your property then you may be wondering what you can do about it.

Firstly if there is a council Tree Preservation Order applying to your land then you are required to obtain council consent before cutting back any tree covered by the TPO ( ie usually any tree/bush over 3 metres high ).

Secondly you should ask the neighbour to prune back the tree . If the neighbour does not do this then you can cut back that part of the tree that is protruding over your property.

Some trees are protected as heritage items so you need to check with your local council to make sure the tree in question is not protected .

If damage is done to your property by the neighbours’ tree then you may be able to sue the neighbour for compensation.

Suing a neighbour is not something to be done lightly however.